- Monarch Way Station 2016
- Awarded environmental action grant of $2,500 by Suburban Fluor 495 Express Lanes
- Native Plant sale in spring. Think native – less watering, no fertilizer needed, support our pollinators
- Proposed for Fall 2016 a vegan restaurant meal (cut down on methane and use of resources)
- Proposed a vegetarian pot luck with recipes available (cut down on methane and use of resources)
Support organizations include:
- National Capital Presbytery Earth Care Network matching grants are availableFairfax Faith Alliance for Climate Change
- Monarch Watch monarchwatch.org
- Lands and Waters, Jeanette Stewart, at landsandwaters.org
- Complete Lawn Service at completelawn.com
Knox members, the neighborhood, and scouts have worked together to move toward more environmentally friendly practices in respect to our facilities, premises, education and advocacy. Members are involved with local state and national organizations.
In 2014 Knox members started the project of replacing grass with native plants on the grassy slope beside the ramp.
Now it is full grown. Monarch butterfly caterpillars have been found on the milkweed (butterfly weed/ Asclepias tuberosa) for the past 3 years, and various other pollinators frequent the flowers there. Way to go Knox!